Sunday, July 30, 2006

Plans For Life

While on the way to work one morning last week at 5:30 am, a song by Alan Jackson came on the radio and one line of it quickly got my attention and started me to thinking.

The line was: "Never had a plan, just livin' for the minute".

You know, I have felt that I always had a plan but for some reason everyone else in my life seems to change those plans.

I started off out of school and was going to "set the world on fire". Here I am in the last quarter of my life at the most and am still trying to accomplish a plan.

Plans do not seem to work in the "real world". I have been in love and married 3 times (for life). I'm not in bad shape, but I'm not where my plans had me at this time in my life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone else for my life but I,m just trying to say that the control of our life is minimul.

Do the best you can and try not to hurt anyone.

Does all of this make sense? I guess the poet Robert Burns said it best in Ode To A Mouse. "The best laid schemes of mice and men gang oft aglay"
(often go astray).

C. Oxford
Getaway Crafts

5 comments:

jbwritergirl said...

My theory in life is that if I am not worried, in some kind of pain, in a hurry then I am not really alive.

I use a wish list to see just how far I can take my crazy ass.

Having given up an acting career to have children, with whom I stayed home with, I felt alot like what you are describing in your post.

But when I had enough and realized that the world was revolving without me I made a concious choice to sit in the middle of the axis and see where it would take me.

At 47 I went to college for the first time in my life. What a freaking blast I had. Before I finished my degree I got hired by one of Los Angeles's largest papers and have fulfilled my dream of writing. But I realized that this was not the only thing I wanted to do. Blogging set me in another direction that I had been toying with over the last few years. I wanted to go into Broadcast journalism but it's very difficult to get in, so I thought I would do something other than straight news. I've put my money where my mouth is and will be producing a comedy pilot based on the news I write about in my blog. I want to make people laugh or at least smile at the absurdity of life.

What I'll do if that doesn't pan out will reveal itself when the time is right, but I will never sit still again.

The last quarter as you put it should be filled with things you always wanted to do but never set enough time aside to actually do.

Grab life by the balls (it's less painful than grabbing the real thing). Take chances and start something new.

You know somewhere deep inside you lurks an animal ready to spring from the cage. Don't stop it. Open the door and run like hell.

Jacqui

Becky said...

My words of wisdom for life are as follows,

"There are two kinds of people in this world, people that are pleasant and people that are smart. Well, I'd much rather be pleasant!" - Jimmy Stewart, Harvey

COxford said...

Stacey, Becky, Jacqui,

Read my next post and please feel free to comment.

I will be on vacation next week. (7-11)

C. Oxford

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I wish you the very BEST in all that you do! Keep it up, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters!

Michael C said...

I remember Chattahoochie very well. It was the soundtrack for one of my college summers.

Life is amazing, you can surrender to it and see what happens or try and be an active participant in it.

I had my 2nd open heart surgery last year at 31 years of age. The night before surgery really put life in perspective for me and I have not been the same since.

Although I waited almost a year, my blogging is a direct result of preparing for such a serious procedure. I like making folks laugh and have always written (I used to get paid for it while at an ad agency). I have married the 2 together and although I don't make a dime from it, I love it.

Best,
-M