Thursday, December 08, 2005

Just Rambling

I have had some health problems lately and haven't felt like going much or doing anything very physical. I still go to work every weekday as a necessity. As age creeps up on me and I feel it, along with these come more and more concerns about what is going to happen to people with the rising costs of living especially including the cost of gasoline and heating oil or natural gas. This region of the country has already been hit very hard by the loss of textile companies and jobs related to textiles. This was the textile center of the nation and since its demise has lost a lot of employment opportunities. Not only have we lost the textile jobs, but also many more that were supported by the textile industry. Other retail businesses have had to close because people were not making enough to support them. I had to get out of a restaurant business that had been in operation for 40 years but was supported by the textile plants in its general vicinity. I was lucky enough to have a full time job other than the restaurant on which to rely.

I'm not sure about other parts of the nation and realize that they have some of the same problems that we have, but the yearly wage increases given in this area barely covers the increase in employee insurance costs.

As the weather gets colder we wait each month to see how much our fuel bills have increased. I spoke with the gas company yesterday and the increase is already over 30% from last year. This is going to be very hard on everybody and even more so the fixed income group. Will there ever be an end to this madness. Most families can't afford much more of the increase.

Enough of my ramblings, and I wonder if anyone every reads these intellectual words anyway. At least it gives me a place to vent some of my frustrations and talk when my wife will not listen.

On a more positive note, I have been writing an article concerning advantages of internet dating for the 40 and over group. I hope to have this finished soon. We hear more and more from people in this age group and if your have any stories to tell about dating at this age, we would like to hear from you.

1 comment:

NB-C said...

Interesting blog...thanks for reading mine!